Thursday, June 5, 2008

Beach Day Canceled - Boooo!

I swear that I saw a single tear fall from John's eye yesterday when they announced the cancellation of Beach Day. It has been raining and windy (not cold but very humid) here all week and so the Peace Corps staff decided that we should not go to the beach today (Friday). Rain has never stopped me from enjoying the beach so I too was pretty bummed by the news. Three weeks and counting and still no beach....crazy! On the upside, our Hindi language class let out early and we were able to take a trip into town.

There is not much to post, life as a trainee is proving to be pretty boring. We get up and go to language class, have lunch, go to tech class, return home, have dinner, take a bath and go to bed (usually no later than 10 p.m.). I have been getting up at 6 a.m. each morning to help my host mom make the curry and roti for breakfast. I am getting pretty good at rolling the roti. I have yet to make a perfect circle though...most look like profiles or maps. Roti is like a tortilla. While a lot of the trainees in the Fijian villages are tired of their food, John and I are still loving the roti and curry.

We are going into Suva (Fiji's capital) tomorrow to look for a second-hand guitar and a saree. We will try to post pictures while we are in town as I again forgot the camera...oops.

Fir Milegaa,

Leslie

1 comment:

The Rowles said...

Suggestion for yah....add the CIA Worldfactbook link for FIJI....so everyone can see what's it like (beside your wonderful blog and soon to be posted pictures...:>)
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/fj.html