Wednesday, July 30, 2008

One Week Down

So we have officially spent one full week in Rakiraki. We have spent this first week setting up house, starting our garden and getting to know our respective counterparts. I am pretty sure that Thursdays are going to be my new favorite day of the week. Thursday is the day when people from neighboring villages in the Ra Province come to Rakiraki to do their shopping. RR has pretty much everything you need. There are at least four grocery stores, a Rupes Big Bear (where we got our bikes), a post office, three different banks, hardware stores, three internet cafes and a hand-full of other little Fijian shops. The open-air market here is great. It is open every day and is packed with local produce, kava, and handmade brooms and mats. It has been the place I use my hindi most as a lot of the produce vendors are Indo-Fijian. It is super fun to surprise the locals with my killer language skills. Note: my Hindi is actually not that great I just really paid attention to the lessons on shopping....surprise :) Anyways, because villagers come into town to do their shopping on Thursday so too do the Peace Corps volunteers in our province. This means that we get to see a few more of our Peace Corps friends. Today John and I had lunch with Tara (stationed here in RR), Ahndree (village near the bay), Natalie (village across the bay), and Sylvia (stationed in Nadi but homeless right now so chillin in R-town) and it was so great. Thursday lunch has been a tradition for the volunteers in the area so Tara and Andree seemed happy to have four new lunch buddies. The six of us looked pretty ridiculous walking around the two streets of Rakiraki but we were so happy to see each other it was easy to ignore the stares.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Leslie and John,

Great blog! Bee-keeping, speaking hindi, awesome. Glad you guys have the site up. Looking forward to seeing more posts.

Michael Watson

Trenton Payne said...

Leslie and John,

My wife and I are volunteers in The Kingdom of Tonga, Group 73. We were both born and raised in Portland, OR. We are planning a holiday in fiji around Christmas/New Year time. I know you haven't been there long, but any suggestions? Good luck with your service.

Trenton

Leslie and John in Fiji said...

Trenton Payne- That's awesome that you guys are in Tonga. You are welcome to stay at our house when you come to Fiji. Post your email address next time and I will send you an email.

Trenton Payne said...

L&J,
Sounds like our experience in Tonga is a little different than yours, we are city volunteers. Everyone has a different experience they tell me.
Anyway, I don't have itinerary for trip yet except that we are flying into Nadi on Dec 20th. I am interested in sampling Fijian Kava and comparing it to Tonga's. They tell me it is much stronger in Fiji. I google mapped Rakiraki and it looks like a beautiful place. My email is painsme_610@hotmail.com and we have a blog as well lolatonitonga.wordpress.com